SPA VALLEY RAILWAY - April 2011

The Spa Valley Railway has its origins in a charitable society formed on 13 September 1985, to purchase and reopen the Tunbridge Wells West to Eridge line.

Named the Tunbridge Wells and Eridge Railway Preservation Society (TWERPS), it began a long struggle to reopen the line. The campaign received a setback in the late 1980s when Tunbridge Wells Borough Council gave planning permission for the construction of a large Sainsburys supermarket complex on the site of the derelict goods yard of Tunbridge Wells West.

While the 1891 locomotive shed and station building were protected as listed buildings, the remaining area of the site was obliterated, including the goods shed and signal boxes.

Awaiting-Restoration-Gallery.jpg

Awaiting Restoration

Drill-Room-Gallery.jpg

Drill Room

Inside-Carriage-Gallery.jpg

Carriage Interiors

Washroom-Gallery.jpg

Old Washroom

Train-Shed-Gallery.jpg

Train Shed

Carpentry-Workshop-Gallery.jpg

Carpentry Workshop

Fron-Gallery.jpg

Front Entrance

Lathe-Workshop-Gallery.jpg

Lathe Workshop

Platform-Gallery.jpg

Platform

Ticket-Office-Gallery.jpg

Ticket Office

Carriage-Repairs-Gallery.jpg

Carriage Repairs

Yard-Gallery.jpg

General Yard Views

Loco-Interior-Gallery.jpg

Locomotive Interior

Signal-Box-Gallery.jpg

Signal Box

© 2019 The Tunbridge Wells Project     |     Privacy Policy

  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon