THE MEETING ROOM, 41 YORK ROAD - Sept 2011
41 York road was built sometime shortly after 1867 and is now a Grade II listed building. It is thought that in its early days it was used as a snooker room and artists studio. Around 1890 it came into use as a church when it was purchased by William Masters Sibthorpe for the use of some Christians who had been meeting elsewhere in the town. During WWII an air-shelter was constructed in the basement for use by the congregation during air-raids which is still accessible as can be seen in the photos below.
The building remained in the Sibthorpe family until 1976 when it was purchased by the newly formed York Road Christian Mission, a Charitable Trust created to maintain the building for the use of the congregation and for Sunday Schools.